Having clean water is important for many reasons. It is essential for cooking, cleaning, and drinking. Most importantly, it is necessary for our bodies to function properly. Clean water is free of contaminants that could potentially make us sick. It also tastes and smells good.
Unfortunately, not all water is created equal. Sometimes, the water that comes out of our taps is not as clean as we would like it to be. This can be due to a variety of factors, such as old pipes or run-off from factories upstream. The good news is that there are ways to filter your water so that it is clean, fresh-tasting, and free of odors. Let's explore some of the different types of filters available on the market today.
At Oak Plumbing, we have years of detailed experience with a wide variety of plumbing issues. We promise value for your dollar and offer special deals for all of your plumbing needs. Our skilled experts are certified for services like:
- Water filtration services
- Sewer repairs
- Gas and Water Leak Detection
- Toilet, Slab Leak, Pipe, and Gas Line Repairs
- Kitchen & Bathroom Plumbing.
If you are experiencing any water filtering issues, our expert plumbers are trained in a variety of different methods to help resolve each individual case. Contact us to find your trusted professional plumber and special offers today.
Why Does it Taste Bad?
The most common cause of foul-tasting water is dirt and other particulates that are present in the water supply. If you have well water, this is especially likely to be a problem. Fortunately, installing a whole-house filter can take care of this problem and leave your water tasting clean and fresh.
Another common cause of foul-tasting water is dissolved minerals such as iron and manganese. These minerals can give your water a bitter or metallic taste. Again, installing a whole-house filter is the best way to remove these dissolved minerals and improve the taste of your water.
If you have city water, chlorine is often used to disinfect the water supply. This can sometimes give the water a chlorine taste or smell. If this is the case, investing in a carbon filter will do the trick. Carbon filters are specially designed to remove chlorine from your water, leaving it tasting great.
Water Odors and What They Mean
There are a few different things that can cause your water to smell bad. Each has a different solution, so it’s important to identify the source of the odor before you can treat it. Here are some of the most common water odors and what they mean:
- Musty or Moldy Smell: This is usually caused by bacteria growth in your water heater or pipes. If you notice this type of odor, you should have your water tested for bacteria. You can also flush your pipes by running all of your faucets for 2-3 minutes to clear out any bacteria that might be lingering there.
- Rotten Egg Smell: This is usually caused by sulfur bacteria in your water supply. It can also be caused by a problem with your municipal water treatment plant. If you notice this type of odor, you should have your water professionally tested. Once you identify the source of the bacteria, you can treat your water with chlorination or ultraviolet light to get rid of the bacteria and the odor.
- Chlorine Smell: This is caused by the presence of chlorine in your water supply. While small amounts of chlorine are necessary to disinfect your water, too much chlorine can cause an unpleasant smell. If the level of chlorine in your water is too high, you can install a whole-house carbon filter to remove the chlorine from your water.
Types of Filters
There are many different types of filters available on the market today. The type of filter you need will depend on the specific contaminants in your water. For example, if you live in an area with high levels of lead in the water, you will need a filter that specifically targets lead. Some common types of water filters include:
- Activated carbon filters: These filters are made of charcoal that has been treated with oxygen to open up pores between the carbon atoms. This makes them extremely effective at removing a wide range of contaminants, including chlorine, chemicals, and pesticides.
- Reverse osmosis filters: These filters force water through a semi-permeable membrane to remove even the smallest particles from your water, including bacteria and viruses.
- UV filters: These filters use ultraviolet light to kill harmful microorganisms in your water without changing the chemical composition of the water itself.
- Ion exchange filters: These filters remove positively charged ions from your water and replace them with harmless ones like sodium or potassium. This makes them very effective at removing heavy metals like lead from your drinking water.
- Faucet-mounted filters are another affordable option for filtering your drinking water. They attach directly to your faucet and filter the water as you turn on the tap. Like pitcher filters, faucet-mounted filters will need to be replaced periodically. Be sure to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for replacement frequency.
If you're interested in water filtration systems, contact a professional plumber for an inspection and diagnosis. At Oak Plumbing, we’ve seen it all and are the leading plumbing experts in Benicia, CA! From drain clean services to leak detection, and even more, you can trust the experts at Oak Plumbing to address any plumbing issue, minor or severe. We are always offering special deals and coupons to our clients, so give us a call today or fill out our contact form.
Will a Filter Remove All the Contaminants from My Water?
No filtration system is 100% effective at removing all contaminants from water. However, installing a properly-maintained filtration system is one of the best ways to improve the quality of your water. There are many different types of filtration systems available on the market today. To find the one that's right for you, it's important to consult with a qualified professional who can help you understand the different options and choose the best one for your needs. Our team of experts has the experience and knowledge to provide you with the best solutions for your individual needs. We are committed to providing exceptional service and quality products to our clients, so give us a call today or fill out our contact form.
Invest In a Water Filter Today
If you are concerned about the quality of your drinking water, there are many different types of filters available on the market that can help to improve its taste, smell, and overall quality. Activated carbon filters are very effective at removing a wide range of contaminants, while reverse osmosis filters can remove even the smallest particles from your drinking water. UV filters use ultraviolet light to kill harmful microorganisms in your drinking water, and ion exchange filters can remove heavy metals like lead from your drinking water supply. By investing in a quality water filter, you can rest assured that your family is safe from harmful contaminants present in many municipal drinking supplies.
Oak Plumbing was established to bring masterful plumbing to our community. We are experts at detecting and repairing a variety of clogged drain issues. Our highest values are providing sterling customer service and keeping your family safe. That is why we only employ licensed and background-checked experts. Between our professional employees and our commitment to our customers, there's a very good reason why most of our customers give us five-star reviews. Contact us to find your trusted professional plumber and special offers today.